Issues and Programs Report, October-December, 2015, 4th Quarter.
WOXL-FM-HD-2 on 98.1 FM
Report compiled by Bill McClement
Public Affairs Program: Asheville Area Focus,
airs on Sunday mornings at 6:30 a.m. Program Length: 20 minutes
10/4/2015——Ken Putnam, City of Asheville Transportation Services. Downtown
Parking update, meter use, parking garages, pay-by-phone use. Issue addressed:
10/11/2015—–Jerry Vehaun, Buncombe County Emergency Services Director
Speaks about the history of fire districts in Buncombe County,
Streamlining the number of districts to 20, Explanation of funds
Used for fire fighting services. Issue addressed: Public Safety.
10/18/2015—–Beth Russo, Homeward Bound Organization. Dealing with
Efforts to find permanent housing for the homeless population
In the city of Asheville and Buncombe and Henderson Counties.
Statistics showing a homeless population of more than 500, plus
A high percentage of homeless veterans. A forum scheduled for
November will offer suggestions for dealing with efforts to get
More homeless vets into permanent housing. Issue addressed:
10/25/2015—–Domestic Violence Awareness from someone who lived it. Christi
Golden-Clark has written a book about her experiences in the hope of
Helping other women who are involved in abusive relationships.
Issue addressed: Domestic Violence.
11/1/2015—–The Reverend Scott Rogers of Asheville Buncombe Community
Christian Ministry. A new project geared toward housing for
Homeless veterans in our community. The project will create a
A place for housing units to help those veterans. Issue addressed:
11/8/2015—-The Reverend Michael Woods, Western Carolina Rescue Ministries.
Thanksgiving fund drive, shelter, meal and addiction recovery programs
Update. Issue addressed: Hunger, Housing.
11/15/2015—-Repeat of the November 8, 2015 Program.
11/22/2015—–Stephanie Brown, Asheville Convention and Visitors Bureau.
3.9 million dollars in funds allocated for tourism improvement
Capital projects at the East Asheville Soccer Complex, the WNC
Nature Center, and the River Arts District Greenway, plus a
Studio for glass-blowing art work. Tourism Hotel occupancy
Numbers, new hotel projects. Issue addressed: Tourism Development.
11/29/2015—-Tammy Jones, Dex Mitchell, Christmas is for kids. Update on
A program to collect Christmas gifts for children in foster care, orphanages
And other care programs. Issue addressed: Children in need.
12/6/2015——John Wingerter, Council on Aging of Buncombe County. Update
From navigator agency working to help people sign up for year
Year #3 of the Federal Affordable Care Act Health Care Coverage.
Individual help is available by appointments. Issue addressed: Health
12/13/2015—-Greg Borom, Director of Advocacy, Children First/Communities in
Schools of Buncombe County. Update on the Emma Family Resource
Center, After School programs, state child care subsidy program. Issue
12/20/2015—–Kelley Klope, Asheville Fire Department Public Information Officer.
Holiday fire dangers, Christmas decorations, heating systems, other
Tips for winter fire safety. Issue addressed: Public Safety.
12/27/2015—–Jerry Vehaun, Director of Emergency Services for Buncombe County.
Plans discussed about a major training exercise planned for the late winter
Or early spring involving fire, rescue, police, homeland security and other
Agencies. Issue addressed: Public Safety.
Public Service Announcements: WOXL-FM HD-2 on 98.1 FM places Community Events and Public Service Announcements on its website. Participants log onto AshevilleResults.com and submit their announcements for review. Information is reviewed and posted to Radio station website under Community listing. 4th Quarter PSA’s.
Massage Envy Cares For Those Who Care Do you know men and women of service who should be rewarded with relaxation and stress relief? Nominate a special person today, and they could be chosen to win a FREE 1-Year Membership at Massage Envy Spa (including gratuity)!
- An active or former member of the military or National Guard
• A special military spouse
• A volunteer with a charitable organization helping the military
Tell us why they deserve to be recognized — Submit a story about your nominee by October 31, 2015.
The Annual First United Methodist Church Night of Light 5K and Family Fun Run/Walk The Annual First United Methodist Church Night of Light 5K and Family Fun Run/Walk in downtown Morganton, NC is set for Saturday December 5, 2015.
Franklin School of Innovation Benefit Concert The Franklin School of Innovation is an Expeditionary Learning Buncombe County Charter School. The night’s concert will benefit the FSI Arts program December 15
Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Join Mix 96.5 at the annual Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk!
Asheville Area Habitat for Humanity Habitat for Humanity brings people together to build homes, communities and hope. If you’re a low-income homeowner in Buncombe County in need of affordable home repair services, contact Asheville Area Habitat for Humanity. Services include interior & exterior repairs, modification for accessibility, painting, & more
FREE Gluten Free Event! Fletcher Valley Market and Bakery is holding a FREE Gluten Free Event at the Lelia Patterson Wellness Center in Fletcher on Sunday October 11th from 1 to 5pm!
Mulls Grove Baptist Church The Burkemonster 5 Mile Run Charity Event in Morganton, NC. Proceeds go to the Gingerbread house for abused children and the Burke Pregnancy Care Center
34th Annual Parade of Homes A free self guided tour of homes in and around the Asheville Area. We invite you to join us on 34th Annual Parade of Homes! Plan to visit a variety of beautiful and inspiring homes through a free self guided tour over two dynamic weekends taking place October 10-11 and 17-18, 2015
2015 Let’s Explore Africa (LEA) Quiz Tournament Students across the State of North Carolina in 4th through 12th grade will be competing. This segment is for residents in the Appalachian Region. Admission to the event is FREE.
Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation Bike Show at Schroader’s LAST MINUTE BIKE SHOW ON SUNDAY, 10/25 FROM 10AM UNTIL 2PM TO RAISE DOLLARS FOR THE PEDIATRIC BRAIN TUMOR FOUNDATION. TROPHIES FOR BEST OF SHOW AND FOR BEST OF BRAND. JUDGING AT 1PM.
Ridgeline Church We are providing a fun safe place for families to hangout this Halloween season. So join us for a FREE party on October 30th at Estes Elementary from 6-8PM. There well be LOTS of candy, inflatable games, custom contest and more!
The Progressive Education Program of Buncombe County Schools The Progressive Education Program presents internationally renowned puppeteer Hobey Ford and his “Golden Rod Puppets” November 6th at The Robert Greene Theatre at 7pm to raise funds essential to augment their yearly budget.
Pastimes Comic Book & Gaming Store Celebrates 35 Years in Asheville! 35% of ALL profits that day will be donated to Eblen Charities for all the hard work they do for the community November 28th
Loving Food Resources (LFR) Loving Food Resources hosts its annual Holiday Cookie Party on Friday, December 18th, at Kenilworth Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall on Chiles Avenue from 6 to 8 PM. Bring 4 dozen or more homemade cookies to help fill 200 cake boxes with cookies.
Other Programming of Community importance during the 4th Quarter, 2015
WOXL- HD2- 11-19-15- Thursday- 1000AM- 15 minutes-Blanket Drive-Roger, Carol
WOXL- HD2-12-11-15-Friday-5:00PM-15 minutes-Franklin School of Innovation-Cary Cooper
WOXL-HD2- 11-23-15 TO 12-3-15 On-Going Promotion, live liners, recorded promos for Make a Wish
The Following is a list of Promotions in the 4th Quarter of 2015. for WOXL-FM HD-2 on 98.1 FM. Several of these feature involvement by several Asheville Radio Group Stations:
98.1 THE RIVER
- TOASTY BLANKET DRIVE 11/07 – 11/19: Promoted and supported blanket and warm weather clothing drive benefitting Asheville-Buncombe Community Christian Ministries. Engaged listeners on-air, online, through station e-blasts and social media. On-location broadcast at November 19 event.
- WARREN HAYNES CHRISTMAS JAM 11/10 – 12/12: Supported annual event that benefits Habitat for Humanity. Promoted on-air, online, Studio AVL interview with Warren Haynes, social media, and e-blast.
- MAKE A WISH BENEFIT CONCERT 11/14 – 12/05: Supported 14th annual event raising money for Make A Wish foundation. Promoted on-air, online, and through station e-blasts. Brian Blades emceed the event at the Orange Peel.
- EBLEN TURKEY DISTRIBUTION 11/10 – 11/25: Promoted program and helped organization donations to feed families in need at Thanksgiving. Heather helped distribute food at Eblen event November 25. Supported on-air, online, and through social media.
- RACE TO THE TAPS – SIERRA NEVADA 10/4 – 10/31: Planned, promoted and executed 4-mile running race, with a portion of the proceeds going to the non-profit Mills River Partnership, which works to protect and preserve the area’s water supply. Supported on-air, online, social media, and station e-blasts.
- RACE TO THE TAPS – OSKAR BLUES 11/1 – 11/14: The final event in our series of running races, a portion of the proceeds from this event went to non-profit partner Mountain True and its environmental protection work. Supported on-air, online, social media, and station e-blasts.
Non-Paid Commercial Schedules for Organizations in the area. The following is a list of Events/Causes/Organizations receiving free air time during 4th Qtr. 2015 on WOXL-FM-HD-2 ON 98.1 FM.
Eblen Charities – Giving Thanks 2015 – ALL STATIONS – 56 spots/wk – :30’s – 12a to mid – 11/4/15-11/24/15
Eblen Charities – Heating Assistance 2015 – ALL STATIONS – 42 spots/wk – :30’s – 12a to mid – 12/7/15-3/15/16
Hope Chest for Women – Here’s to Hope – WOXL/WOXL-HD2/WTMT-HD2 – 47 spots/wk – :30’s – 6a-mid – 11/7/15-11/13/15
Pisgah Legal Services – Health Enrollment 2016 – ALL STATIONS – 28 spots/wk – :15’s – 12a to mid – 12/10/15-1/31/16
Station Promos – Jungle Bell 5k – WOXL/WTMT-HD2/WISE – 50 spots/wk – :15’s – 12a-mid – 11/28/15-12/4/15
Station Promos – WNC Lights Promo – ALL STATIONS – 28 spots/wk – :30’s – 6a-mid – 12/4/15-12/30/15
Issues and Programs Report, January-March, 2014, 1st Quarter.
WOXL-FM-HD-2 on 98.1 FM
Report compiled by Bill McClement
Public Affairs Program: Asheville Area Focus,
airs on Sunday mornings at 6:30 a.m. Program Length: 20 minutes
1/5/2014———GE Aviation Training through AB-Tech. Kevin Kimrey of AB-Tech
Discusses the Community College’s role in training workers for the
Arrival of High-Tech Production for GE Aviation in Asheville and
Buncombe County. Issue addressed: Jobs, Economy
1/12/2014——-Dr. Tony Baldwin, Buncombe County Schools’ Superintendant. Policy
Decisions and notification on winter weather cancellations, delays and
Schedules. New notification policy for automated calls and text
Messages making it easier to get the word out faster. Issue addressed:
1/19/2014——–Celeste Collins, ON-TRACK Financial Education and Counseling
Service On Managing credit card debt, other credit issues for
Consumers. Issue addressed: Consumer protection.
1/26/2014——–Jerry Vehaun, Buncombe County Emergency Services Director
Discusses 2013 calls for service for ambulance, police and fire
Calls, the recent gas explosion and fire in Enka, and cold weather
Tips for keeping warm, avoiding exposure and hypothermia.
Issue addressed: Health/Safety
2/2/2014———Charlie Flynn-McIver and Scott Treadway of NC Stage. A local theatre
Group is promoting its performances, subscription sign-ups, and
Contribution to the arts in Asheville. Issue Addressed: The Arts.
2/9/2014——– No Show scheduled
2/16/2014—– Sue Ellen Morrison, Buncombe County Department of Health and
Human Services. Flu deaths on the rise in North Carolina. Efforts
To reduce cases, benefits of flu shots. Issue addressed: Health
2/23/2014—–Ben Van Camp, Asheville Buncombe Regional Sports Commission. An
Update on Sporting events lined up for the region, including basketball,
Cycling, and other events. Sports Tourism statistics. Accomplishments
For 2014, projections for 2015. Issue Addressed: Tourism
3/2/2014——Geoff Cabe, the Southern Conference. Preparation for the upcoming
2014 Southern Conference Basketball Tournament in Asheville. Events
Related to the tournament, local involvement, economic development and
Tourism statistics for the area. Issue addressed: Economic Development.
3/9/2014——John Iamarrino, Commissioner, The Southern Conference. Update on
New member schools, departure of some long-time members, status of
The Conference’s yearly basketball tournament in Asheville, expectations
And outlook. Issue addressed: Education/Athletics
3/16/2014—-Joe Bachar, Western North Carolina Aids Project. Dine out for Life
Fundraiser, update on AIDS services, medication, counseling, statistics,
Research, etc. Michelle Stinson, WNCAP Advocate tells her story of
Services she received from the organization. Anjelica Wind of Our Voice
Agency discusses statistics linking HIV/AIDS with issues of violence
Against women. Issue addressed: HIV and Aids Awareness.
3/23/2014—–John Wingerter of Council on Aging of Buncombe County and
Jaclyn Kiger of Pisgah Legal Services on a Navigator Program to
Help people sign up for Health Insurance Coverage as part of the
National Affordable Care Act. Update prior to March 31st deadline.
Issue Addressed: Health Care/Affordable Care Act.
3/30/2014—-Mike Plemmons, Council of Independent Business Owners, I-26 Connector
Project Position, dealing with city, county and state government. Building
And development projects, issues of concern for the Organization, including
Regulations and policies. Issue addressed: Small Business
Public Service Announcements: WOXL-FM HD-2 on 98.1 FM places Community Events and Public Service Announcements on its website. Participants log onto AshevilleResults.com and submit their announcements for review. Information is reviewed and posted to Radio station website under Community listing.
Agencies listing public service or community events on radio station websites during 1st Quarter 2014
Wild for Life:Center for Rehabilitation of Wildlife, Inc.
Asheville Larosse Club-Asheville Empire
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
SCORE, Asheville Chapter
Asheville Area Habitat for Humanity
Asheville Christian Academy
Black Mountain Beautification Committee
Spread The Positive
Children and Family Resource Center (Henderson County)
Buncombe County Library, Recreation and Culture Department
The Mediation Center
Mission Children’s Hospital & Family Support Network of WNC
Girl Scouts Peaks to Piedmont
Blue Ridge Orchestra
Lupus Foundation of America, NC Chapter
St. Gerard House
ArtSpace Charter School
Cane Creek Middle School 8th grade honors symphonic band
MAHEC – Mountain Area health Education Center
Smart Start of Buncombe County
National Multiple Sclerosis Society / MS Community of WNC
Linamar NC motorcycle ride to benefit hungry kids in Buncombe County
Vance Elementary Parent Team
Haywood Jackson Volunteer Center
Other Programming of Community importance during the 1st Quarter, 2014
School Closing and Delay Announcements: WOXL-FM HD-2 on 98.1 FM broadcasts once hourly updates from 6 a.m. -7 p.m. on days involving delays or cancellations of area schools. WOXL-FM HD-2 on 98.1 FM broadcasts once hourly updates from 7 p.m.-6 a.m. The following is a list of weather delays in the 1st Quarter involving Buncombe County Schools, the largest public school system in the region.
DELAYS, EARLY RELEASES, MISSED DAYS
DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER
Delays, Early Releases:
Jan. 8, 2014 – 3 hr bus delay due to frigid temperatures. However all school buildings opened at their regular times to accommodate car riders and student drivers.
Jan. 16 – 2 hr delay for Erwin and Enka district, all others no buses on icy roads.
Jan. 24 – Buses – 2 hour delay. However all school buildings opened at their regular times to accommodate car riders and student drivers.
Jan. 31 – 3 hr delay – No buses on icy roads
February 10 – Early Dismissal 12:00 all ES; 12:30 HS, MS, IS
February 11 – 2 Hr delay – No buses on icy roads
March 7 – Owen District only – 2 hr delay no buses on icy roads, all other districts normal schedule with no buses on icy roads.
March 25 – 2 hr delay – no buses on icy roads
March 26 – 3 hr delay – no buses on icy roads
1. Jan. 3, 2014 – AL – Snow (OTWD on June 12 moved to May 26, the AL day that was on May 26 is moved to Jan 3, students will make this day up on June 9)
2. Jan. 6, 2014- OTWD – Snow/Ice (June 10 OTWD used)
3. Jan. 7, 2014 – OTWD – Frigid temperatures, snow/ice (below zero temperatures) (March 21 OTWD used)
4. Jan. 22 – Snow-OTWD (Feb. 21 OTWD used)
5. Jan. 28 – Snow/Ice-No School, this day will not be made up. This will be an OTWD for Teachers. Teacher Assistants can report to work and be paid or they can talk to their supervisors and arrange to make up this day. Therefore, the teacher assistants that do not report to work do not have to fill out an AESOP if they plan on making this day up. They can choose to use AL if they want too.)
6. Jan. 29 – Snow/Ice – No School – AL (April 18 used)
7. Jan. 30 – Snow/Ice – No School – OTWD (Teacher Assistants do not report to work) (June 11 used)
8. Feb. 12 – Snow Storm – No School – No Day for 10 month employees, 11 & 12 month employees can make this day up or use leave time. (Sat. Feb. 22 make up day)
9. Feb. 13 – Snow Storm – No School – No Day for 10 month employees. 11 & 12 month employees may use AL or make this day up. (June 12th used)
10. Feb. 14 – Snow/Ice –No School – OTWD, teacher assistants do not report to work. All other employees report to work at 10:00 am. (May 26 used)
11. March 13 – Snow/Ice – No School OTWD (Teacher assistants may report to work or use AL)
The Following is a list of Promotions in the 1st Quarter of 2014. for WOXL-FM. HD-2 on 98.1 FM. Several of these feature involvement by several Asheville Radio Group Stations:
1. Isaac Dickson Elementary Hot Chocolate 10k – January 8th thru January 22nd – listeners were informed about the festivities via on-air promos, live liners, e-blast to River Insiders, web-site feature with link to the 10k website on 981theriver.com, and social media postings including Facebook and Twitter.
2. LEAF Spring Festival – March 24th thru March 31st – Promoted LEAF Spring 2014 Festival and deadline for discounted ticket prices. As part of the promotion, we allowed listeners to register to win tickets at 981theriver.com through a prominent homepage feature that included an inside page with festival information including a link to purchase tickets. Listeners were encouraged to register with on-air promos, 1 e-blast, as well as inclusion in Concert Calendar. 98.1 the River also produced and aired (48) :30 commercials for the LEAF festival that rotated Monday – Sunday from 6a-11:59p during promotional window.
3. Asheville Half Marathon – March 12th thru April 13th – ran a commercial schedule including a web graphic w/ link on the homepage of 981THE RIVER.com that led to the event registration page. Were also included in e-blast. Web presence and live liners/recorded promos will run again the week of the race (6/2 thru 6/7)
Non-Paid Commercial Schedules for Organizations in the area. The following is a list of Events/Causes/Organizations receiving free air time.
Here is the list of “in kind” and/or no charge spots for 1st Quarter 2014:
United Way of Asheville – Campaign w/ Paramount Kia – ALL Stations – 28 spots/wk – :60’s – 6a-8p – 9/5/13-2/2/14
United Way of Asheville – NC 211 – ALL Stations – 14 spots/wk – :30’s – 6a-midnight – 2/17/14-3/31/14
Geico Insurance – Free the Children – ALL Stations – 5 spots/wk – :30’s – 5a-midnight – 1/7/14-1/26/14
Brian Biro Enterprises – Lessons in Leadership – ALL Stations – 10 spots/wk – :30’s – 6a-midngiht – 1/18/14-1/28/14
AVL Area Chamber of Commerce – Chamber Restaurant Week – ALL Stations – 21 spots/wk – :30’s – 6a-midnight – 1/18/14-1/27/14
Eblen Charities – Heating Assistance – ALL Stations – 63 spots/wk – :60’s – 12a-midnight – 2/3/14-3/2/14
Eblen Charities – Leading Through Change – ALL Stations – 56 spots/wk – :30’s – 12a-midnight – 2/24/14-3/12/14
Asheville Half Marathon – 2014 Race – WOXL-HD2,WOXL, WTMT – 56 spots/wk – :30’s – 12a-midnight – 3/12/14-3/24/14
Pisgah Legal Services – Affordable Health Care – ALL Stations – 35 spots/wk – :15’s – 12a-midnight – 3/25/14-3/31/14
BMW of Asheville – March of Dimes – WOXL- 17 spots/wk – :30’s – 6a-9p – 3/28/14-4/25/14
Habitat Area for Humanity – Habitat Manna In Kind – WOXL, WOXL-HD2 – 30 spots/wk – 6a-midnight – 3/31/14-4/5/14
Other Station appearances and involvement by WOXL-FM, HD-2 on 98.1 FM during the 1st Quarter of 2014
WOXL- HD2- 1/21/14- Tuesday- 5:45PM- 4 minutes-Hot Chocolate 10K-Tim and Louise Grolenhuis
WOXL- HD2- 2/03/14- Monday- 5:45PM- 4 minutes- LEAF Festival- Ehren WOXL- HD2- 3-21-14 to 4-10-14-Concert and Event Calendar-Asheville Music School-Gabrielle, Amy Ray