Issues and Programs Report, July-September, 2013, 3rd Quarter.
WOXL-HD-2 on 98.1 FM
Report compiled by Bill McClement
Public Affairs Program: Asheville Area Focus,
airs on Sunday mornings at 6:00 a.m. Program Length: 20 minutes
7/7/2013——Jerry Vehaun, Buncombe County Emergency Services Director discusses
Outdoor safety tips, how to summon help, how to do basic first aid when
Hiking, fishing, camping, etc.
7/14/2013—–Ben Teague, Executive Director, Economic Development Coalition,
Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce, and Paul Szurek, CFO Biltmore
Farms and Chairman of the Economic Development Coalition. Discussion
Of the G.E. Aviation high-tech manufacturing project for the Asheville
Area, plus efforts to recruit new businesses and industries for the region.
7/21/2013—–Alice Elio, Buncombe County Department of Health. Immunization
Requirements for the 2013-2014 School year. Updates on illnesses such
As Chicken Pox, Measles, Polio, Whooping cough, Tetanus. Mosquito
And tick bite treatments and sunscreen recommendations for summer
7/28/2013—Jim McMahan, NC Dept. of Commerce, Division of Workforce. Rate for
Unemployment in Buncombe, Henderson Counties, Asheville Metropolitan
Area and the State. Jobs Outlook and Sectors expected to see improvement
In the coming months. Reduction in unemployment benefits from 2012
8/4/2013—-Doctor Tony Baldwin, Superintendant, Buncombe County Schools. Summer
Construction Projects for County Schools, including addition to the
Math and Engineering School at the Central Office. Enrollment Trends,
Numbers of students, Budget reductions vs. needs.
8/11/2013—–Joe Hough, Buncombe County Schools Transportation. Upcoming School
Year update. Bus Stop and route changes, numbers of Students
Transported, Traffic Safety reminders.
8/18/2013—-Van Duncan, Buncombe County Sheriff on new School Resource
Officers for county schools, crime statistics, prevention programs.
8/25/2013—-Celeste Collins, On Track Financial Education and Counseling. Two
Programs for Home Ownership, one which covers mortgage payments for
Qualified participants who are unemployed and retraining for other jobs.
The other program is a first time buyers program for working class people.
9/1/2013—-Lew Kraus, Executive Director, Asheville Area Habitat for Humanity. The
Homebuilding Agency celebrates 30 years of operation and completion of its
9/8/2013—–Norma Messer, Better Business Bureau of Western North Carolina.
Update on Fraud through internet sites, emails, social media, plus
Mail and door-to-door fraud. Complaint and dispute resolution
And mediation services, etc
9/15/2013—–Joe Brumit, Chair, A-B Tech Trustees. Building Projects on campus,
Enrollment, new and existing programs updated.
9/22/2013—–David Bailey, President, United Way of Asheville and Buncombe
County, Rowena Buffett Timms, Campaign Chair 2013-2014 United
Way Fundraising campaign. Efforts to raise more than five million dollars
To fund 79 programs at 40 area Human Services Agencies.
9/29/2013—-Kelley Klope, Asheville Fire Department Public Information Officer. Fire
Prevention month kick off event, focus on kitchen fires, safety evacuations
Of homes and businesses, proper fire extinguisher use.
Public Service Announcements: WOXL-FM HD-2 on 98.1 FM places Community Events and Public Service Announcements on its website. Participants log onto AshevilleResults.com and submit their announcements for review. Information is reviewed and posted to Radio station website under Community listing.
The Following is a list of Promotions in the 3rd Quarter of 2013. Several of these feature involvement by several Asheville Radio Group Stations:
1. ADA Downtown After Five – July 15th thru July 19th – was promoted on all stations with recorded promos, e-blast, homepage website feature, donating portion of event sponsorship proceeds to the ADA for approximately $3500 for the season.
2. Save the French Broad – July 4th thru September 5th – three-tiered promotion to help drive awareness for different aspects of the campaign (a river rafting trip, paper fish sales to benefit the WNC Alliance, and a concert at the Orange Peel); including a minimum of 100 recorded :30 commercials, 114 live promos (minimum 3 per day), 5 e-blasts, 6 social media mentions (2 per tier), and 3 Dynamic Lead website inclusions (1 per tier)
3. Chains for Wishes – July 24th thru August 3rd – promotion for a disc golf tournament that had their proceeds go toward the Make-A-Wish foundation. Combination of 50 live liners/recorded promos, 2 e-blast inclusions, social media promotion via Facebook and Twitter, and inclusion on the River website in the dynamic lead position.
4. Outward Bound River Bound Race Series – September 5th thru September 13th. Was promoted on 98.1 the River with a $750 donated ad schedule, approx. 15 liner, eblasts to River subscribers and website feature. The race is a benefit for scholarships for the NC Outward Bound School
5. LEAF Benefit of Culture – July 29th thru August 8th – support for a concert benefiting LEAF’s Art for Education outreach program – 30 recorded promos + live liners, e-blast to River Insider’s Club, and homepage website inclusion in the dynamic lead position.
6. DIG Fest – August 5th thru August 25th – support for an independent music festival featuring multiple venues and local artists/bands – 30 live and recorded promos total, e-blast and social media support, along with a “register to win” contest featured as a dynamic lead on the homepage
7. ADA Downtown After Five – August 12th thru August 16th – was promoted on all stations with recorded promos, e-blast, homepage website feature, donating portion of event sponsorship proceeds to the ADA for approximately $3500 for the season.
8. Feasting for FEAST – September 2nd thru September 11th – media sponsor for FEAST, an organization that promotes healthy and sustainable food practices for children and adults – provided a minimum of 40 live liners, social media promotion via Facebook and Twitter, and website inclusion on both the homepage and events calendar
9. ADA Downtown After Five – September 13th thru September 19th – was promoted on all stations with recorded promos, e-blast, homepage website feature, donating portion of event sponsorship proceeds to the ADA for approximately $3500 for the season.
10. Blue Ridge Pride Festival – September 27th thru October 5th – an event put on by Blue Ridge Pride (a 501(c)(3) n.p.o.) to raise awareness and education of the LGBTQ community in the area – 40 live and recorded promos, social media promotion via Facebook and Twitter, inclusion in two e-blasts, and website inclusion on the 98.1 The River homepage.
Non-Paid Commercial Schedules for Organizations in the area. The following is a list of Events/Causes/Organizations receiving free air time.
Helpmate – Tea Thank you –WOXL – 28 spots/wk – :30’s – 6a to mid – 9/13-9/23
Goodwill (Local) – Training Center July 2013 – WOXL/WTMT/WOXL-HD2 – 21 spots/wk – :15’s – 6a to mid – 7/1-7/21
Leadership Asheville – Annual Luncheon – WOXL/WTMT – 21 spots/wk – :60’s – 6a to mid – 9/11-9/25
Station Promos/PSA – Baconfest Promos – WTMT/WISE –63 spots/wk – :30’s – 6a to midnight – 7/12-7/26
Station Promos/PSA – Save the French Broad River – WOXL-HD2– 58 spots/wk – :30’s – 5a to midnight – 8/7-8/18
Station Promos/PSA – Walk to End Alzheimer’s – WOXL/WOXL-HD2– 35 spots/wk – :30’s – 6a to mid –9/2-9/20
Station Promos/PSA – Outward Bound Race Series – WOXL-HD2 – 17 spots/wk – :30’s – 6a to mid – 9/4-9/8
Station Promos/PSA – Mobile Marketing Workshop – All stations – 20 spots/wk – :60’s – 6a to 7p – 9/4-9/8
Station Promos/PSA – Sales Recruitment – WISE/WTMT – 28 spots/wk – :60’s – 6a-7p – 9/16-10/13
Stations Promos/PSA – Dog Day 2013 Promos – WISE/WOXL-HD2/WTMT – 42 spots/wk – :60’s – 6a-mid – 9/5-9/22
Station Promos/PSA – Spooky AVL Recruit – All Stations – 28 spots/wk – :30’s – 6a-mid – 9/16-9/30
Station Promos/PSA – Spooky AVL Promos – All Stations – 17 spots/wk – :15’s – 6a-mid – 9/17-10-26
Station Promos/PSA – ESPN Promos – WISE – 504 spots/wk – :60’s – 12a to mid – 9/24-12/31/14
United Way of Asheville – School Supply Drive – All Stations – 35 spots/wk – :30’s – 6a to mid – 7/1-7/26
United Way of Asheville – Annual Campaign w/ Paramount Kia – All Stations – 28 spots/wk – :60’s – 6a to mid – 9/1-12/31